Summer is almost here! This means beach days, vacations, and barbecues! Summer is also time to switch up your skincare routine to match the changes in the temperature and humidity. We’ve made a list of our tips to help keep your skin healthy and fresh this season while you enjoy all of your summer plans.
- Wear sunscreen – This tip should be a no-brainer! You should always wear sunscreen, but it’s extra important to protect your skin during these warmer months. As the temperature continues to rise, we know you’ll be spending more and more time outside, whether it’s at the pool, the beach, or just around the yard. As you spend this time outside in the sun, be sure to take the precautions needed to keep your skin safe from the harmful UV rays of the sun. Always put sunscreen on any part of your body and face that will be exposed. If you’re swimming or sweating, be sure to reapply as needed to avoid sunburns.
- Lighten your products – You can put away the thick moisturizers you used during winter! While this doesn’t mean you should stop using moisturizer completely, you should use a lighter product. The heat and humidity of summer won’t dry your skin out like the coldness of winter does. Thicker and heavier moisturizers can lead to clogged pores and may lead to acne, so this summer, we suggest using a lightweight moisturizer with an SPF of at least 30. SPF will help re-establish your skin’s outer layer, which will protect it from pollutants and the sun. A moisturizer with SPF will allow you to take out the extra step of adding sunscreen on top of your moisturizer, leaving your skin less dense.
- Exfoliate – As we’re more prone to sweat and oily skin during the summer months, it’s best to exfoliate more often than during wintertime. This doesn’t mean you should exfoliate every day, but increasing your exfoliating routine to a few times a week can help keep your skin clear. Opening up clogged pores and removing excess oils from your skin will help reduce your chances of acne and leave your skin with a soothing feel.
- Add a Vitamin C Serum – While you should always have an adequate vitamin C intake, it’s even more vital to get enough during summer. Vitamin C is great for diminishing fine lines and wrinkles as it boosts collagen production. Adding a few drops of vitamin C serum onto your routine after you’ve washed your face will inhibit hyperpigmentation and maintain its natural tone and color.
- Hydrate – One of the easiest ways to keep your skin healthy this summer is to stay hydrated! We encourage you to always drink plenty of water, but it’s crucial to increase the amount of water you drink when you spend time outside.
We hope you have a fantastic summer this year! No matter what your plans are for the new season, we want your skin to remain bright and healthy. Follow our tips we’ve listed above and them to your skincare routine to maintain a glowing complexion this summer!
*For those struggling with skin cancer, we offer Mohs surgery which is one the leading procedures for treating the common types of skin cancer. Dr. Lewis is one of the few physicians in the gulf coast area that is fellowship trained in Mohs surgery and has been practicing this skin cancer treatment for over 20 years. For more information, give us a call to learn about the benefits of this procedure.*